Wellington Fashion Week A/W 2014 - Catwalk Model Casting Auditions

Wellington Fashion Week A/W 2014 Catwalk  Model Casting Auditions

'Time to Strut!'

“You will follow the directions of the green marks on the floor. Strut from your end to the judges, then turn to your left and POSE!” – Lets begin!

Wellington Fashion Week is absolutely hectic when pushed for time. Anyone who works at any level of the fashion industry will tell you that. Yet for those like myself have the easier way to forget the fancy footwork that goes on behind the scenes and concentrate on absorbing the moments prior to the event itself. This year we have a larger variety of incredible designers from all over the nation – over forty designers to be near precise. We are talking Trelise Cooper, Desiree, Falve, moochi, Kilt, Goodness, Taylor and so much more. Wellington is reaching new heights in the fashion industry, the more entries from designers means more models to cast and showcase their garments… meaning more vacant opportunities for aspiring catwalk models which we saw a lot of today!

On April 9th-13th 2014, these soon-to-be picked ‘catwalkers’ will be strutting their stuff and wearing some of the best gears made here in New Zealand! To all of the models that came along and gave the catwalk a go – I personally congratulate you. I don’t think I could ever have the balls of steal to get myself up there confidently and walk the walk. Although that is what I thought of you all, the way you walk can express your personality in so many different ways. The way you walk can show the competitiveness, the self-esteem levels, or the humbleness. So I asked a quick question to those models who were willing to answer.

My Question - "How did you feel at the catwalk casting today?"

***Responses***

Islay - “Nervous but super excited, it was a great experience even though it was scary, but I am glad I went.”

Faith - “Very nervous, it was my first time doing a catwalk before. I enjoyed it, it was really fun.”

Anna-Lisa - “Hi love, I had lots of fun at the casting today and it was a great experience!”

Ashleigh Jane - “Hmmm good question... I would have to say I felt nervous and a little bit pressured with all the judges and expectations, but I knew that I just had to put all those thoughts/feelings aside and just really try to deliver and show confidence in my walk as you only get one shot.”

Olga - “I was quite nervous at first seeing all of the other 'competition', but after I did my walk, I was all bursting with adrenaline and feeling really good!”

Johnny - “Personally I felt relaxed, I felt as if the guys were in it together, whilst the girls were there to compete. There is a real sense of falseness in the body language of many of the girls - I suppose that comes down to own personal esteem and arrogance, which I suppose you need in this industry!”

Elizabeth - “Hi Bri! To be honest, I felt more freaked out afterwards. There's something about going first that always gives you more pressure to 'set the bar' and get the walk right so you don't screw the other models behind you up! At the end of the day, all you can do is hope for the best!”

Jessica - “I was extremely nervous, and intimidated at how skinny and beautiful everyone else was, but as soon as I actually got in there and started talking to the other girls, I realized we were all in the same boat, and all as nervous as one another. It was a really cool opportunity, and really fun to learn from everyone.”

Here is a bit of guru lecturing before my topic ends!

To be a great catwalk model, you need to have an open mind and a creative bond with the designer. They have picked ‘you’ to represent their spectacular garments on the catwalk in front of an audience of thousands. You need to collaborate and respect the designer that you are working with – even the hairstylist and makeup artist as every piece fits together to create the look that is wanted. You are the creative outlook that enhances the designer’s 'ultimate vision'. You are the person who needs to gain that good sensibility of mastering the catwalk with a good beginning middle and finale. Other than that this is your chance to shine and leave everyone bedazzled and starstruck at the end of the night with your urban edged walk! So get practising gorgeous people!

From a photographers point of view in the media pit - Good to know...

If you must know, photographing a catwalk is much more technical than you think. It is a lot more difficult than portrait photography. I guess you could almost call it sports photography. Everything is fast so us photographers need to get familiar with our focus points. We need to be able to rapidly adjust manual exposure on the go. It simply does not work in automatic mode. ‘Note to models’ - when you come towards the photographers pit please don’t be shy to stand there promptly and pose with confidence – you are on a timer but you don’t need to run away from the cameras. Catwalk models are there to pose for the audience and cameras in the overall conclusion, so please bare that in mind ladies and gents! It will make a photographer’s photo look much prettier and make you look like a fashionable representation of a good quality garment!

Designers to watch out for: 
Treslise Cooper, Desiree, Falve, Wilson Trollope, moochi, Goodness, NoaNoa, Surface Too Deep, Vaughan Geeson, Love Hotel, Philippa & Alice, Jane Daniels, Storm, Maison Scotch, Annah Stretton, deNada, Highnoontea, Nineteen//46, Kilt, Robyn Mathieson, The Carpenter’s Daughter, Taylor, Lucy Mclntosh, Tasha Smith, Brooke Barrett, Sally Eagle, Robyn Cliffe, Juliette MacLeod, Carolyn Henson, Rebecca Robbie, Nicole Linnell, Sophia Rose, Duncan, WORLD, Helen Forster, Alison Blain, Jessie Wong, Charlotte Cambers, Brydie Falconer




 Article & Photography by Briahna Patterson

1 comments:

  1. excuse me sir, but what in the name of hades is "sex" and "dog food" doing in the same comment. i dont quite understand

    ReplyDelete

 

✿ C o n t a c t ✿

briahna.patterson@live.com

✿ F a c e b o o k ✿

✿ I n s t a g r a m ✿