Islay Payne

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at 'Look at Me Studios'
Name: Islay Payne Agency: Voda Model Management Height: 5ft 6 (Hopefully still growing!!!) Ethnicity: New Zealand European
How long have you been modelling for? How did you first get into it? "I've always been very interested in the whole industry and world of modelling and fashion. I'm obsessed with clothes, makeup and all things girly. I never actually plucked up the courage to apply for an agency until about halfway through last year."
Is modelling a passion or a hobby? "I would like to say it is just a hobby but to be honest it is quickly starting to become a passion of mine. I love the sense of confidence and pride you get from posing behind the camera, and the rush of adrenaline before you walk out on the runway, I really just love it all!"
What is the best modelling opportunity you have been given so far? "I haven’t had as many modelling jobs as I’d like yet, but in terms of personal achievement and experience I would say the most recent shoot I did with ‘Look at me Studios’. This shoot really solidified in my head how much I actually do love modelling, and it also helped me to get way more comfortable moving in front of the camera. I'm so happy with the finished images! I would like to say though, all the jobs and opportunities I have been offered have got me to where I am today in the modelling world, so they have all been awesome in that respect."
Any unforgettable modelling jobs you are willing to share? Any funny or embarrassing stories? "At my first proper runway show, The Wellington Fashion Tech show, I was incredibly nervous, and already shaking at the thought of having to walk out for the first time in front of all those people. That's when I found out I was first on! Despite being super nervous and probably walking a bit awkwardly I got through it, I was much more confident with my next few outfits, and I am so much more confident on the runway now!"
If you were to model anywhere in the world, where would it be? "I would have to say Paris, because even though America is supposedly the ‘place of opportunity’ for the modelling world as well as many other things, I feel like Paris just has a sense of class and sophistication that cant be matched."
What would you like to accomplish in modelling? "I don’t really have any specific goals in mind, but I definitely want to go as far as I possibly can with my modelling, and hopefully it will lead somewhere some time in the future!"
If full time modelling isn't where you are heading, what else would you like to do? "I'm not actually 100% sure what I want to do when I leave school yet, I am juggling which University Degree I want to do, or even if I want to do one, but I definitely want to keep modelling, its something I know I will always enjoy."
What style of modelling would you like to concentrate on? E.g. Portrait, Catwalk, Editorial? "This is actually a really hard question haha, I love it all!! I think I would have to say editorial though, this is also my favorite thing to look at in magazines etc! Although I do really enjoy runway, with my height I am probably better suited to doing photographic work."
Why is modelling important to you? "Purely just because I enjoy it so much!"
What are the highs and lows of modelling?
Highs: "Highs, ahh there are so many! I love pretty much all of it! I’d have to say getting to see the finalized images after a shoot is probably my favourite part."
Lows: "I would have to say that a low is definitely getting rejected. I mean, I know you get this with every career, and you definitely learn to get better at taking it on the chin, being thick skinned, and being able to use things to your advantage, but in the end its still hard, it will always be hard. I suppose part of why it feels so good when you get chosen is because you always have to prepare for being rejected and being cut. I think in the modelling industry in particular, rejection can become especially harsh."
Do you have a nick name or a stage name? "Haha no, no nickname or stage name!! Islay has always been a hard one to shorten!"
Who is the best recommended photographer you have worked with or would like to work with? "I could never pick one photographer, everyone who I have worked with has been amazing, yet all completely different in their styles of work. I would have to say though, I do love working with Bri."
Where do you see yourself in five years? Modelling or not modelling. "Honestly, I have no idea where I might end up in 5 years time, but I would love to still be modelling."
Do you enjoy the agency you are signed with? "Yes! I love Voda! Because its a small agency I think all of us have gotten to know each other quite well, we are all there to support and encourage each other, and I love what Voda represents."
If you were given the opportunity to be signed with a top agency, who would it be? "In New Zealand I would have to say either 62 models or Red11. To me, and from what I have heard, I would consider those agencies to be the best in New Zealand. Overseas I would definitely say IMG - probably New York or Paris. Some of my favourite models such as Barbara Palvin are signed to IMG, and I think it would be a great honor to even be considered as a model in that agency."
How do you take criticism? "I think there are both good and bad ways you can take criticism, this applies to everything not just modelling. I always try to take criticism in a good way. The best thing about it is that you can learn from it, and improve, get even better at what you are trying to accomplish in the first place."
*****
You don’t have to answer this but how did you feel after experiencing the ‘surprise cut’ from the Wellington Fashion Week Catwalk practice after being confidently accepted in the first place? "Obviously I was shocked and upset, as it was so unexpected, I thought I had actually got in as that is what the email had said, so I was extremely excited and feeling really good. Looking back on it now I know I just need to take it as a learning experience, and be proud of the fact that I got as far as I did! Despite the sense of confidence I got from being accepted, bumps can always occur. This one was a big one, and yes, it really sucked, but for me, its all about being able to take things on the chin, being thick skinned, and being able to use things to your advantage. Making the best out of the worst situations, and now, after this, I am even more determined to push myself to do well in this industry. Even though I was given no explanation as to why I was cut, I suspect my height was the issue."
Did you expect this to happen or were you completely caught off guard? "Like I said, I had no idea that it would be happening."
After experiencing this, is there anything you would like to say about the professionalism of wellington fashion week? Has it changed your perspective on the fashion industry? "No, I am going to assume that this was completely unintentional and that they were just disorganized in the way they were doing things, I am also going to assume that it wont happen again."
Did you also hear how the times during the casting were open to public until 4pm and they closed the doors at 2pm without any notification to the public at all? There were people arriving at the doors hours after. What do you think of this? "No, I did not hear about that. That must have been really frustrating for the girls who were misinformed. If they were going to shut the doors early I think they should have at least given people some notification a couple of hours in advance, just to give models a fair chance of casting and getting in etc."
After this experience, would you cast for WFW again next year? Anything else you would like to say? "Yes, despite all this I would still cast again for WFW, as I would absolutely love to be a part of it."
*****
Who is your favourite male and female model? "I could never pick a favourite female model ahhh so hard!! A few of my favourites are Cara Delevigne, Barbara Palvin, Jessica Stam, Coco Rocha and definitely Kate Moss. All for different reasons but I love what they represent! For guys I love Sean O’Pry, and Francisco Lachowski, but there are so many more!"
Have they inspired the way you model today? "They're all inspirations to me! But then again lots of things are, I get inspired a lot just by the world around me, and what is happening at the present moment."
Send a selfie picture right now!
Is there anything you wouldn't do for modelling? "I don’t think I could ever do full nude. Some editorial shots showing a bit of skin can look gorgeous if they are done in the right way, but who knows, it all depends on circumstance and how comfortable I feel in the situation."
What are the main fears you have overcome during the time you have modeled? "I never really had any fears going into modelling, but becoming more experienced in it has helped me to accept who I am, I have learnt not to hide it but to embrace it - show it off. I am unique and I love that!"
Do you have any tips for other aspiring models to encourage them to get out there? "Just do it! Don’t be afraid! If you know its what you want to do, or even if you think you just want to try it out, give it a go!! You might end up loving it."






Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at 'Look at Me Studios'

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at 'Look at Me Studios'

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Fashion Tech Show Wellington 2013

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at Whitireia Studios

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at Whitireia Studios

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at Whitireia Studios

Model: Islay Payne from VMM - Photography, Hair, Styling, Makeup by Briahna Patterson at Whitireia Studios


1 comments:

 

✿ C o n t a c t ✿

briahna.patterson@live.com

✿ F a c e b o o k ✿

✿ I n s t a g r a m ✿