Justine Bouchard

Justine Bouchard - Photo by Briahna Patterson


























Name: Justine Bouchard
Agency: Voda Model Management
Age: 25
Ethnicity: French
Height: 181 cm / 6 ft

So, what brings you to New Zealand?
That’s a very good question. Um… Fate? I was just travelling around the world and I fell in love with New Zealand when it was my time to travel here. The film industry is great here also because I am acting more than modelling.

How did you get into modelling and how long have you been doing it?
I started when I was 16 in France, just doing some catwalks for beauty pageant contests and uh, it was just a hobby at first. It was just like once a year, twice a year. Then when I started travelling, I met an agent in Australia, she said “You have a lot of potential”, so I did a couple of photo shoots over there. Then, I moved from Australia to New Zealand and I’ve been on that website called starnow.com, and there were heaps of adds like, “We are looking for models”, to do shoots and stuff, so I just started randomly applying for them. I had done a couple of photo shoots by then but I still didn’t have an agent at the time. Through starnow.com there was an advertisement displaying that said “We are looking for models to join our agency with Faking Fabulous”. I went to the audition they were holding and signed a contract with them which now turns out to be Voda Model Management. So that is how it all started.  

If full time modelling isn’t your thing, what else would you do instead?
Acting. Yes, I am into acting.

What sort of acting would you take on? Commercial? Performance?
Featured acting. I would like to do some action or some stunt fights. Mostly features entering to be like creatures or monsters. Fantasy things like Sci-Fi.

If you were to stay on the modelling side of things, what would be your dream modelling job?
Hmm… I’d say, do fashion magazine covers or editorial shoots. Wear all of the amazing clothes that costs an arm. Just be beautiful for 2-3 hours, depending on what the shoot is and just look gorgeous, touch up everything and on top of that, you are in a magazine.

What would be your dream destination to carry on your modelling career?
Honestly, New Zealand. Even though Europe have got a lot of modelling opportunities, like if you go to Italy or France or even London, there is lots of fashion over there but New Zealand would be my dream country.

What is the most exciting modelling job that you have experienced so far? Any fun stories?
I really loved working at Voda Model Management with a photographer called ‘Big Mark Photography’. With him we are currently doing the ‘Project 50’ which is amazing, it is so much fun to do. You get to dress up a lot. I really enjoyed the photo shoot I did as a pirate, I was the ‘Pirate of the Pacific’. It was a full dress up shoot of me dressed as a traditional crazy pirate. We got the boat on Oriental Bay in Wellington and everything was transformed into a pirate ship. It was hilarious, it was so much fun.
Also, we shot a medieval themed shoot for ‘Project 50’ too. It was the same photographer, ‘Big Mark’, at Westside Studios at Shelly Bay which was really interesting too. That’s one of the best memories I have. It’s not a big full on shoot but it was brilliant. Working with Big Mark is actually amazing. There is a lot of trust in this environment and working with ‘Big Mark’ is great.

Do you have a favourite model who is a big inspiration to you?
Well, I would say Kate Moss because she just looks so simple. I mean, she just looks like a normal girl you know? It’s not like, I don’t know, she doesn’t have the ‘massive breasts’ and the same old stereotype. She is just a normal girl that looks so tiny and cute and I just like the way she grew up in this industry. It is very basic to say Kate Moss but, I like her.

Who is the best recommended photographer you have worked with?
Big Mark Photography. Yes, he’s Brilliant.

Is there anything that stands out in particular in his work that you really like?
The trust you can have between the photographer and the model is very important. Mark really builds a lot of confidence and trust towards the models. He’s always speaking to you, and you feel comfortable, you know, like when you are posing for him. You have this relationship that is creating and it feels great to be your immediate self in front of someone you have only known for five minutes. Yeah, the trust. Trusting the photographer is the best thing about ‘Big Mark’.

Do you have any favourite Item of Clothing?
Hmm… I like… movie costumes. Like fancy stuff in particular. Something that is not ordinary, something that you would ‘not’ wear in the street, something completely fancy. Actually for me, modelling is also like a way of getting out of your day-to-day life and transforming yourself into another person. It’s a bit like acting actually, except you are not acting for the camera, you are just posing for it and that would be it. So, mostly costumes that are not ordinary and a lot of makeup. But not like any normal makeup, more like, I don’t know, like for the pirate shoot I talked about before, just something that stands out.

Overall, why is modelling important to you?
Well it’s been a part of my life for a couple of years now, so it’s important to carry on. I mean, it’s such a tough industry that when you have faith in it, just don’t go back. Because if you have the chance to actually work in it, it’s a good time. It’s a lot of work but once you are in it, you just enjoy it – you ‘go with the flow’. 

What are the 'highs and lows' when it comes to the modelling industry?
Well I would say in basic modelling there would be highs and lows. But with Voda Model Management, we have the chance to actually be an agency that recruits lots of different sized models. So you don’t actually have to be on a very strict diet, well, you have to keep in shape but, it doesn’t matter if you are a size ten or twelve. I mean, you don’t have to be a size six here to be a super model. So that is really important, I guess that is the good thing with Voda.
But, for other modelling things I have experienced in France and in Australia, the bad point would be that you actually have to follow a diet. You have to keep in real shape, you have to exercise a lot which is good, and it’s healthy. But the thing is, it limits everything. You have to be careful and take care of yourself. You always have to present well, and represent you and your agency, so always in society you have to act well and present well which can be a good thing or a bad thing.  

Is there any dream agency you would like to be signed to?
I am absolutely fine with Donna Malneek at Voda Model Management, she is amazing.

Is there anything you ‘wouldn’t’ do for modelling?
Personally I wouldn’t do nude. But if nudity was involved in a shoot, it would have to be seriously discussed. I wouldn’t go on a strict diet, if they say, “You need to lose weight fast”, and have to eat 2 apples for lunch and vegie soup for dinner, I would refuse. I wouldn’t go that far. Apart from nudity and strict dieting, I’m fine with everything.

Do you enjoy who you are in front of the camera as well as behind the camera?
Yes, I like it, sometimes with ‘Big Mark’, he gives us the chance to also assist behind the camera. He would end up in front of the camera and modelling for us. He would give you his camera and say, “Take a picture of me!” It’s very interesting as you can learn so much being behind the camera and also to see how all of the lighting works and how to use the lighting properly. It is very interesting in both cases.

If you recommended modelling to a friend, what would you say?
If you have the chance to go for it, then go for it. Yeah, be patient because you won’t have a contract on the day after you start doing modelling. You have to grow your career and always be positive about it.

In today’s society a lot of people outside of the fashion and modelling industries usually say it is a ‘fake world’. Do you think that is true? Do you think it is a real industry or a fake industry?
In New Zealand it’s a real industry. But then again, I haven’t been in shoots for magazines or catwalks for Chanel or for ‘big names’. I think you have to be careful in this type of industry, like modelling and acting in general because lots of people can bulls**t you, if I can say that? Lots of people sell your dreams and they sometimes will not come true. You can’t be naïve at all, you have to keep your head straight and think and talk with your agency about all of the contracts you can receive from people. Do not really trust anyone I guess, it is very easy to let yourself go. If you are at a party for instance and someone comes to you and offers you more champagne and stuff, you have to remember that you can say no and be proud to represent yourself in society. You just have to be careful of these things.

How do you take criticism?
Well, it depends of who it comes from. If it’s a critic after a magazine you are published on and he says something like “Your posture is not good in this photo.”, you can work on that because it’s a real critic, so you have to actually rethink how you actually do it. It overall can be positive but if it’s just some random friends that you have on ‘Facebook’ and they saw your picture and just said “Oh, you look like sh*t”, It doesn’t matter, just let it go. Just take the critic of the people that are important for your career and important in your life, and then you can just work positively about that.

Do you have a secret talent that no one really knows?
That no one really knows? Hmm… I am very creative. Especially in the costume area I guess. I just like doing a lot of cross-playing, so most of the time when I do have free time, I just go to Bunnings and spend all my money buying stuff from paint to a new pair of scissors and just create things. I am not sure if it is considered as a real talent, but it is definitely a hobby that I do on a weekend and I love it.

Do you create things along the lines of fashion design?
No, I don’t really work on clothing for fashion design. I guess I do more work for props, masks, wigs and costumes for movies.

So I guess you have been to the Weta Workshop then?
Yes, it’s brilliant over there, yes.

What is the best thing in a photo shoot? Wearing the designer clothes or having hair and makeup done?
Hair can be quite painful if you are a bit sensitive, depending on the photo shoot if you have to get your hair tied back really hard and spend hours on the evil chair. But then again, it is worth it at the end of the shoot and seeing the final images. The makeup is always a good time because you can just relax and close your eyes. Everyone is taking care of you, it’s like being a human doll. You arrive in your morning face, you look gross, and you sit down and relax and let everything go. People will actually take care of your face and take care of your hair. They will dress you up and you will look like an absolute princess. It’s magical.

Is there any sort of designer or photographer that one day you would like to work with?
Hmm… One day I would love to do a luxury catwalk, maybe for Karl Lagerfeld, he’s full of ideas. But then photography wise, I would have to get back to you on that one.

What is most rewarding to you when it comes to modelling? Is it the money or the final product?
It’s the money of course, but it’s not only the money. When you do modelling you have to like it. If you just do it for the money you won’t go too far. As I said before it requires a lot of patience and it has to make you happy. If you really want to go far in this industry you have to have a sort of passion for it for the job. So, love your job and get good money.

Have you had training for modelling or are you a born natural?
I did some runway coaching in France. I’ve been trained basically on the field and then when I met Donna from the agency, she started training us every month, approximately every 2 months on runway coaching and on posture. We have some workshops with some photographers too you teach us many other things.

What is the furthest you have gone in the modelling industry?
Probably some runways. I have done some bridal shows which are fantastic. You get to wear this amazing wedding dress which is a bit depressing when you are single but yeah, it is the most rewarding moment career-wise. You give dreams to women that are here to actually purchase their dream wedding dress and you are here to just present it to those who are interested. To give pleasure to people purchasing fashion is very rewarding.



Justine Bouchard - Photo by Briahna Patterson

Justine Bouchard - Photo by Briahna Patterson


Justine Bouchard - At the Workshop - Photo by Briahna Patterson




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

✿ C o n t a c t ✿

briahna.patterson@live.com

✿ F a c e b o o k ✿

✿ I n s t a g r a m ✿