Kaely Tomlinson

Runner up in Wellington Fashion Week 'Exposed' Competition - Thrift Couture - Model: Kaely Tomlinson from Ataahua Avenue - Photography/Makeup/Hair/Styling by Briahna Patterson
Name: Kaely Lorraine Tomlinson
Age: 15
Agency: Ataahua Avenue
Height: 175 cm/5.7ft
Ethnicity: American 

How did you get into modelling and how long have you been doing it?
I did a photo shoot with project bloom awhile back and Ataahua Avenue went to Project Bloom to look for models to join their agency. They looked through photos of some of the girls that did project bloom, then I got the call. I was always very keen to get into modelling so I went and had an interview with Alistair and now I’ve been modelling for about a year.

In your eyes, is modelling a passion or a hobby?
For me it would have to be a passion. You can’t achieve great cat walk struts or produce breathe-taking photographs if you’re not truly passionate about putting in the hard work to make yourself a better model.

What is the best modelling job you have been offered so far?
I haven’t had many modelling jobs but the best would have to be when I did hair modelling for Toni and Guy at the Wella hair awards. We got to wear gorgeous outfits and they did crazy things with our hair. It just opened my eyes to a whole other side of modelling.

What is an unforgettable modelling job you have experienced?
The most unforgettable modelling job I have experienced was the photo shoot I did in Wellington for Wellington Fashion Week. BriahnaPatterson was the photographer. We had only a short period of time to capture a photo that truly expressed Wellington’s great fashion culture. At one stage we were taking photos in a functioning elevator that was open for public use. We faced all sorts of struggles such as trying to keep the door open so the elevator wouldn’t move, having people walk in and just stare confusingly as I was hanging from the roof trying to pose in shoes that were falling off my feet. It was just hilarious and absolutely loved every moment.

What is your dream modelling destination?
Probably America because it’s supposedly the ‘land of opportunity’. I would love to go to New York as all the big names are located there, that would be amazing.

If full time modelling isn’t your thing, what else would you like to do?
I still haven’t figured out what I want to be yet. I’m just going to keep my options open and take on a lot of different subject’s at school as well as the outdoors until I find something that interests me.

What style of modelling would you like to concentrate on? E.g.: portrait, catwalk, editorial? 
I don’t know that’s tough I love them all. But if I had to choose it would probably have to be catwalk. The feeling of walking on a runway an expressing yourself through your walk is just great. I wish I had more opportunities to do more runway work.

Why is modelling important to you?
Modelling is important to me because it gives me self-confidence. Ever since I started modelling I have been gaining so much more confidence. You have to learn to stop stressing so much over your little insecurities and just let go to be able to get the best pictures.

What are the highs and lows of modelling in your opinion?
Highs:
For me modelling has heaps of highs, it can be really enjoyable at times and I’ve meet so many great people through modelling. Seeing the end look is always a high for me, it’s so amazing to see how talented and creative people can be.
Lows:
Although there are hardly any lows in modelling, one would have to be the long hours. I mean you can’t really complain as no job can be perfect, but the long hours is such a little price to pay compared to what is involved in most other jobs. 

Who is the best recommended photographer you have worked with? What stands out about their work?
Working with Briahna Patterson was a blast. She is so creative and all her photos are completely different. She brings an aspect of youthfulness to her photography and really thinks outside the box. She has so much potential for someone of her age and I’m sure see she go far with her photography.

If you were given the choice to be signed to a top agency, who would it be?
It would be a dream come true to be signed with IMG New York. Two of my favourite models are signed to this agency, Candice Swanepoel and Barbara Palvin. IMG is one of the biggest modelling agencies in the world, it would be a dream to get signed with them.

What is your opinion on the modelling world? Is it a fake environment?
Although the modelling world has come a long way in the past few years, it is still a very harsh industry. The models that are hired to model clothes for teenagers and women do not reflect what an everyday woman/teen looks like. I feel as though a lot of teenage girls feel like they have to be a size zero to be pretty and this is caused by the image the media is constantly portraying.

How do you take criticism?
I try not to let criticisms get to me but I’m only human so it does affect me. I try not let criticisms get me down, I use it to better myself. With all the expectations put on young women these days I have over time learned to try my best to block out the negative and focus on the positive.

Do you have a secret talent that you are willing to expose?
hmmm… I love to sing I guess. I have sung all my life really, I’ve entered in many competitions over the years and been involved in a number of musicals. But I sing for self-pleasure really, it’s a great way to express myself.

Who is your all-time favourite model?
Candice Swanepoel for sure! 

Is Candice Swanepoel an inspiration to your modelling life? Why?
Yes she is very much an inspiration to my modelling life. She grew up on her family farm in South Africa and got discovered at the age of 15, by the time she was 16 she was featured in vogue magazine. It just shows that it doesn’t matter what kind of background you come from, you can do anything you set your mind to.

Is there anything you wouldn’t do for modelling? 
I would never pose naked or expose any of the private parts of my body. I’m still very young and my views may change but I just think it is degrading towards women when I see models topless or posing naked. Sometimes it can look very graceful if done properly, but I don’t think I could ever get myself to do expose my body in such a way.

See more of Kaely's photo's here: Thrift Couture

Runner up in Wellington Fashion Week 'Exposed' Competition - Thrift Couture - Model: Kaely Tomlinson from Ataahua Avenue - Photography/Makeup/Hair/Styling by Briahna Patterson

Runner up in Wellington Fashion Week 'Exposed' Competition - Thrift Couture - Model: Kaely Tomlinson from Ataahua Avenue - Photography/Makeup/Hair/Styling by Briahna Patterson

Runner up in Wellington Fashion Week 'Exposed' Competition - Thrift Couture - Model: Kaely Tomlinson from Ataahua Avenue - Photography/Makeup/Hair/Styling by Briahna Patterson

Runner up in Wellington Fashion Week 'Exposed' Competition - Thrift Couture - Model: Kaely Tomlinson from Ataahua Avenue - Photography/Makeup/Hair/Styling by Briahna Patterson


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

✿ C o n t a c t ✿

briahna.patterson@live.com

✿ F a c e b o o k ✿

✿ I n s t a g r a m ✿